Student Activities - Moot Courts
Since the very beginning, students of NUJS have
shown consistency in their excellence in
National as well as International Moot Court
competitions. Besides winning several
competitions, and a few being the First Indian
team to do so, the Moot Court Society of the
University has organized five NUJS National Moot
Court Competitions. From 2004-2007, NUJS
organized the national moot court competition on
Corporate Social Responsibility. In 2008, NUJS
collaborated with Herbert Smith, a top London
based law firm, and organized the moot court
competition on Corporate Law.
Mooting Achievements and Activities (2015)
- NUJS wins ELSA WTO Moot Court Competition 2015
A team of NUJS students has won the ELSA WTO Moot Court Competition 2015, the annual competition held at Geneva. In a competition that saw a dominant performance from Indian Teams, the NUJS Team defeated NLU Jodhpur and NLSIU Bangalore in the Semi-Final and Final respectively.
The winning team members Sandeep Ravikumar, Ira Chadha-Sridhar, Pramiti Parwani and Abhimanyu Hazari also bagged several individual honours. Ira Chadha-Sridhar and Sandeep Ravikumar were declared the 2nd and 3rd best speakers overall with Ira also winning the best speaker awards in the semi-final and final.
View this news in detail
Mooting Achievements and Activities (2013)
- Moot Court Achievements for the year 2012-2013
- NUJS team emerged winner of PAN Asian Award for Asian Division in 10th Willem C
Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot 2013
Team consisting of Speakers Shyam Gopal (2nd year) and Jaideep Reddy (5th year) and
researcher Abhinav Chandra (3rd year) and Archit Krishna (1st year) as junior researcher won Pan Asian Award in the 10th Willem C Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot held in Hong Kong from March 11-17, 2013..
Mooting Achievements and Activities (2012)
- NUJS wins the inaugural NALSAR GST Tulsi
Criminal Law Moot Court Competition
Over 22 teams, including, NLIU Bhopal, Symbiosis
Pune, ILS Pune, GLC Bombay, GNLU, HNLU, Christ
University participated in the event. NUJS was
declared winners in the final rounds against GLC
Mooting Achievements and Activities (2009-2010)
- NUJS team comprising of Sneha Janakiraman, Valli Chandra, Shan
Kohli, and Trisha Singhvi won the 2010 edition of ELSA Moot Court
Competition held in Dominican Republic between 24th to 30th May 2010
- NUJS team comprising of Deepak Raju, Rukmini Das, Sankarshana M, and Pankhuri Agarwal won the
NLS Arbitration Moot.
This is the third time in a row that NUJS has won the this competition. Heartiest Congratulations to team.'
The team won the best memorial award and Deepak
Raju was adjudged the Second best speaker.
Link to a news item on this Moot.
- IICLAM Arbitration Moot, Semi-Finalist. Team Comprising of Sneha J,
Purvi Dabbiru. and Ketaki Purohit.
- All India Corporate Law Moot, NLU Delhi, Winners. Team Comprising of Shaswata Dutta, Abhyudaya Agarwala and Gitanjali Shankar. Ms. Shankar also won the Best Researcher Award.
- S. Govind Swaminadhan Memorial National Moot, 2010. Best Memorial, Team Comprising of Arun Mal, Vasudha Sharma and Amba Kak. Ms Sharma also won Honourable Mention as Speaker.
The team reached the semi-finals.
- Manfred Lachs International Space Law Moot Court Competition (ISRO National Funding Round) - Jay Sanklecha, Kumar Ashutosh, Nivedita Sen
- winner. National Round winners and
semi-finalist at Asia-Pacific Regional Rounds,
- Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Vienna - Satadru Goswamy and Iram Huq - Quarter Finalist in oral rounds; Iram Huq won Honourable Mention as an oralist
- ELSA WTO Moot Court Competition (Asia Regional Rounds) - Vallishree Chandra, Sneha J and Shan Kohli - team reached semi finals and was chosen to represent the region at the World Championship in Dominican Republic. Sneha won Second Best Speaker Award and the Best Speaker in Semi Finals Award.
- Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Hong Kong - Ramanuj Mukherjee, Sree Mitra and George Varghese - won Honourable Mention for written submission for respondent.
- Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (India - North Regional Round) - Vivek Menon, Deepak Raju and Rukmini Das - semi finalist, Spirit of Surana Award for all round excellence; Deepak won the second best speaker award and Vivek won the third best speaker award.
Some other past notable
- 10TH WILLEM C. VIS. INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION MOOT, VIENNA, 2003
The NUJS team is the first one from India, in the history of the competition, to have emerged champions, apart from being the second Asian University to achieve this feat. The team emerged victorious defeating 128 Law Schools, which included institutions like Harvard, Monash, Copenhagen, Cologne and Humboldt, to name just a few, from more than 44 countries in the world and is also the first ever Law School to achieve this distinction in their first year of participation at the said competition.
- THE COMMONWEALTH MOOT COURT COMPETITION, MELBOURNE, 2003
The team from NUJS, which was selected to represent South Asia by emerging as Champions in the South Asian Region Selection Round, defeated well-known law schools across the Commonwealth of countries and emerged as runners-up. This is the best performance by India and the region of South Asia in the history of the Commonwealth Moot Court Competition.
- WILLEM C. VIS [EAST], INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION MOOT, HONG KONG, 2004 & 2005
At the inaugural edition of this competition, the NUJS team representing India awarded the Neil Kaplan Best Oralist Award, the 2nd Best Speaker Award. They were also the recipients of the Fali Nariman Respondent Memorial Award. In 2005, NUJS were the champions.
- THE COMMONWEALTH MOOT COURT COMPETITION, LONDON, 2005 NUJS team emerged champions at the South Asian Regional Round of the Commonwealthand was semi-finalists in the international round. Best speaker at both National and International rounds.
- STETSON INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENT MOOT COURT COMPETITION, FLORIDA, 2005
The team from NUJS won the international rounds of the Stetson International Environment Moot Court Competition. An NUJS team-member was declared 8th best oralist at the international round, and the team came 2nd in Northern National Rounds.
- THE ELSA WTO MOOT COURT COMPETITION, GENEVA, 2006
This was the first time NUJS has sent a team to the ELSA WTO Moot Court Competition.The NUJS team was adjudged the winner at the Southwest Asia Regional Round with Best Overall Written Submissions. At the International Round, it was ranked first in thePreliminary Ranking Rounds and was awarded the `Gabrielle Marceau Award' for Best Complainant Memorial.
- MANFRED LACHS INTERNATIONAL SPACE LAW MOOT COURT COMPETITION, SYDNEY, 2006 NUJS team won the ISRO sponsored National rounds in Bangalore and was semi-finalistat Asia Pacific rounds in Sydney.
Mooting Achievements and Activities (2008-2009)
- Willem C. Vis International Commercial
Arbitration Moot Court Competition, Vienna –
NUJS team comprising of Amrita Biswas, Deepak
Raju, Rukmini Das reached the round of 16 and
received Honourable Mentions in the competition
for the Pieter Sanders Award for the Best
Claimant Memorial and Werner Melis Award for the
best respondent memorial. This is the second
best ever performance of NUJS in the orals and
the best ever in memorials.
- Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot – NUJS team comprising of Uday Joshi, Deepaloke Chatterjee, Bhargav Joshi participated in this moot and won Best Memo in the National Rounds.
- Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Compeititon, Hong Kong – NUJS team comprising of Savyasacha Sahai, Sneha J, D.K. Rituraj participated in this moot. They won Honorable Mention for the Best Claimant Memorial.
- Commonwealth Moot - NUJS team comprising of Vrinda Agarwal, Adit Pujari, Kumarjit Banerjee participated in this moot. They made it to the Semi Finals in the National Rounds.
- NUJS students also participated in other international mooting competitions like the WTO ELSA International Trade Law Moot and the ICC Paris Mediation Moot.
- NLS Arbitration Moot – NUJS team comprising of Vivek Menon, Udit Sood and Shabdita Gupta won the moot.
- NLS Corporate Law Moot - NUJS team comprising of Pratik Dutta, Mayur Bhandari and Rohan Sahai won the moot.
- M.M. Singhvi & Bar Council of India Public International Law Moot – NUJS team comprising of Animesh Bisht, Deepti Jayakrishnan and Prianka Rao won the moot. The team also won the Best Memorial award and Animesh Bisht won the Best Speaker award.
- Anand and Anand IP Law Moot – NUJS team comprising of Abhishek Dadoo, Chanakya Arora and Mandakini Ghosh were runners up in this moot. Chanakya Arora won the best speaker award.
- KLA Constitutional Law Moot – NUJS team comprising of Abhijit Sinha, Prajna Mohapatra and Vidyu Kishore Reddy were runners up in this moot. Prajna Mohapatra was the Best Speaker award in the Finals.
- Surana & Surana National Corporate Law Moot Court Competition – NUJS team comprising of Kaushik Krishnan, Prateek Shroff and Pratik Datta were runners up in this moot. Kaushik Krishnan won Best Speaker award in the Finals.
- Rizvi Law College Moot – NUJS team comprising of Anubhav Mehta, Aastha Roy and Simran Kalra participated in this moot. Aastha Roy won the Best Speaker award.
- NUJS students also participated in other national mooting competitions like the GLC International Law Moot and the Bar Council Moot Court Competition.