Professor of Law
Phone: 033-23350534/7379/0765 (Extn. 1180)
▪ LL.M. (International Law and Business & Trade law), University of Mysore, Year 2003. First Rank at University of Mysore in Master of Laws
▪ LL.B. from Mangalore University, Year 2001. Third Rank at Mangalore University in Bachelor of Laws
Dr. Sandeepa Bhat has joined NUJS in 2007, and currently, he is working as a Professor of Law. He has more than fifteen years of teaching and research
experience at NLSIU, Bangalore and NUJS, Kolkata. He did his LL.B. from Mangalore University with Third Rank and received the gold medal for top
scoring the college. He has done his specialization in International Law and Business and Trade Law (LL.M.) with First Rank and double gold medals
at University of Mysore. His Ph.D. is in the field of Space Law.
Dr. Bhat has the experience of researching on four major research projects funded by World Bank, ISRO, WB Judicial Academy and Ministry of Justice respectively. He has the distinction of being the member of International Institute of Space Law (IISL), Paris, France.
Dr. Bhat is the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Asian Journal of Air and Space Law and is also associated with various other publications in different capacities. He has published three books on Space Law and three books on Medical Law. In addition, he has published more than forty articles in the journals of international and national repute. He has presented more than fifty research papers in the international and national conferences including the conferences at Jakarta, Seoul, Sharjah and Singapore. At NUJS, he also coordinates Post Graduate Diploma in Air and Space Law and Post Graduate Diploma in Public Healthcare and Medical Laws. In addition, he has the distinction of being the member of ISRO Expert Advisory Group for drafting the National Space Act for India.
List of Publications / Articles / Conference Presentations / Conferences/Symposia/Workshops Organized / Moot Court Judging & Training
▪ Download/View Current List / Curriculum Vitae
▪ Honorary Visiting Professor, Vaikunta Baliga College of Law, Udupi, Karnataka.
▪ Member, Sub-Committee of Board of Studies, Symbiosis Law School, Pune.
▪ Member of Editorial Board, VBCL Law Review.
▪ Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Law and Public Policy.
▪ Member of Peer Review Board, IFIM International Journal of IPR and Consumer Laws.
▪ Member of Peer Review Board, Academy Law Review.
Administrative/ other responsibilities in NUJS:
▪ Coordinator - UGC Career and Counseling Cell.
▪ Coordinator - Post Graduate Diploma in Air and Space Law.
▪ Coordinator - Post Graduate Diploma in Public Healthcare and Medical Laws.
▪ Coordinator - Society for Studies in Outer Space Law (SSOSL).
▪ Coordinator - Ph.D. Course Work (2016-17).
▪ Coordinator - Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Law (July 2012 - July 2014).
▪ Member - Academic Council.
▪ Member - UGC Internal Quality Assurance Control Cell.
▪ Member - Faculty Advisory Board.
▪ Member - Doctoral Committee.
▪ Member - Centre for Post Graduate Legal Studies.
▪ Chairman - Undergraduate Council (2017-18).
▪ Member - Undergraduate Council (2016-17).
▪ Member - Distance Education Council.
▪ Member - Committee on NAAC Accreditation.
▪ Chairman - Committee on NUJS Prospectus 2017.
▪ Member - Building Committee.
▪ Member - Procurement Committee.
▪ Has also worked as a member of various other committees at NUJS including Post Graduate Council, Committee on Vision Plan, Editorial Board of NUJS Newsletter, Scholarship Committee, Tender Committee, Committee for Complaints Redressal (Moot Court) and Disciplinary Committee on Unfair Means.
Research / Other Grants Mobilized:
▪ Five years’ grant from West Bengal Department of Higher Education for establishing ‘Centre for Regulatory Studies, Governance and Public Policy’ (2015-19).
▪ Two Year Major Research Project on ‘Medical Negligence and Consumer Protection in West Bengal: Need for Expanding the Role of Judiciary’, sponsored by Judicial Academy, West Bengal (2014-16).
▪ One year grant from Department of Nuclear Energy, Mumbai for conducting Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Law (2013-14).
▪ One year grant from Department of Nuclear Energy, Mumbai for conducting Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Law (2012-13).
▪ Jointly designed the entire course structure (all four papers) of Post Graduate Diploma in Public Healthcare and Medical Laws.
▪ Designed the course structure of Paper II and parts of Papers I, III & IV of Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Law.